This is the place to share and search for Good Food recipes!!!

Monday, November 14, 2011

DUTCH APPLE TARTS

Don't you hate it when you make a BEAUTIFUL pie and then you have to cut it and it doesn't look so pretty anymore???  Me too!!  So for the last couple of years I've been making mini pies and tarts.  You can set up your dessert buffet and they only have to take one (or two) and you have no need for knives or forks for that matter.  They are mini finger pies!!  This week I find myself looking for a good dessert recipe that is finger food friendly.  I looked in my cupboard and found a can of apple pie filling, some oats, flour, spices, leftover pie dough and only one stick of butter.  Sooooo.....combining several of my favorite recipes I came up with this mini apple pie with a crumbly Dutch topping!!  It's so tasty and looks so cute!!  Perfect when you are at a potluck and everyone wants a taste of EVERYTHING....and because they are made in a mini muffin tin they don't fill you up!!!



DUTCH APPLE TARTS
makes 36 mini tarts

dough for 2 pie crusts (I use my Grandma Dodie's Never Fail Pie Crust Recipe)
1 can of apple pie filling

Topping: 
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg or allspice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Pour pie filling into a bowl, use a knife to cut the apples into pieces.  Set aside.
Mix all ingredients for topping in a medium bowl.  Set aside. 
Roll pie crust into 1" balls and place in each cup of mini muffin tins (you will need two 24 cup tins). Using fingers, press pie crust into cup.  Fill each pie crust cup 2/3 full of chopped apple pie filling.  Sprinkle each with topping.   Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Allow to cool slightly in pan.  Using a small sharp knife, loosen pies by slipping knife between crust and pan and lift out gently.  Place on rack to finish cooling.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to publish your recipes in a book form. Your commentary's, stories bring the recipes to life and share your love of cooking and giving to others.

I would buy it, and not because I am your mother, but because I see the talent you have. You have something that needs to be shared, a God given talent.
I love you, Moma

Amy B Stitched said...

awww Moma thank you!!!! I do love to cook and to tell a story behind a recipe...there almost always is one. Whether it's where I got the recipe or a mistake that was made that created a new one! Who knows....maybe one day I'll have one...and I'll gift one to you!!! LOL

Teresa Jacobs said...

I totally agree with Jacquetta!! You need to publish a cookbook, Amy!! I know every gal at FBC would buy it, and since your recipes are so universal, many others would want it as well!!
~Teresa Jacobs

Amy B Stitched said...

You ladies are making me blush!! I would love to do my own cookbook...but knowing me I would give them ALL away!!!